Sunday, January 10, 2010

Have an Adventure

I can't believe we're already 10 days into the new year! Hope you are all well on your way to reaching your goals.

Most of us experience something resembling a daily routine. We get out of bed, wash and dress, go to work, come home, make something to eat, do some sort of activity, go to bed. The next day it starts all over, with maybe a few changes. If you're like me, the routine gets boring and makes you restless.

When you get to this point, an adventure is what you need.

When I say adventure, I don't mean something worthy of an action movie. Doing anything outside your comfort zone can be an adventure! Remember my fear of driving through Manhattan last month? Because of a mis-programmed GPS, I ended up driving over the (very narrow) Manhattan Bridge and through the heart of Chinatown instead of missing Manhattan entirely on my way to New Jersey. I will admitt, it was VERY scary at first. But some good things happened too. I was able to see beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline, and by the end of the trip I had a huge sense of accomplishment. I felt if I could drive through downtown Manhattan, I could do anything.

Think of an adventure you could have. Below are wikiHow's tips on how to have an adventure:
1. Try new things. Every new thing is a small adventure, whether it's eating sushi for the first time or exploring a city you've never visited before.

2. Keep an open mind. You won't have any adventures if you never try anything new, or if you try every new thing with the attitude that you definitely won't like it.

3. Lonely adventures are not at all thrilling. Take your friends with you for adventures. Sharing the path is so much more fun and enlightening than doing it alone–most of the time, anyway.

4. Learn to see the dramatic in potentially worrying or frightening events. An annoying thing like getting lost can turn into a thrilling safari, if you look at it right. Change your perspective and uncover your adventure.

Make a list. Think of all of the things you have always wanted to do, no matter how big or small. When life gets too mundane, pull out the list and pick out one to do. Eat at a new restaurant, take a class, book a trip. When we look back years from now, we won't remember the routine. We will remember the adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment