Sunday, December 27, 2009

Be New and Improved

The thought of ending the current year and starting a new one always excites me. The chance to wipe clean the slate and put all bad decisions behind me is so refreshing. Each year I write in my journal what I accomplished this year and what I hope to do in the coming year. Sometimes I have succeeded, sometimes I have fallen short. Regardless, the new year gives us an excuse to reflect on ourselves and how we can improve our health, mind, relationships, and bank accounts.

I have found that the 'resolutions' I make that go unfulfilled are because of fear. I often overwhelm myself with big ideas and when faced with taking action it all just seems so daunting. The what if's take over and I find myself backing away for fear that I will end up worse than last year.

Not this year. I took this week off from work so that I could relax and spend some time figuring out my plan for 2010. Instead of big resolutions I am breaking them up into chunks. I urge you to do the same. Figure out what you want to happen in the next year. Dream big, but spread your goals out over time. Doing something small for 365 days can produce big results. Ponder these small changes that yield big results:

-Cutting just 200 calories out of your diet daily will make you 20lbs lighter by 2011
-If instead of feeding your daily Starbucks habit you put the $3 you would have spent in a jar, at the end of the year you will have $1,095
-Resolve to learn one new word a day and you will have expanded your vocabulary by 365 words

As Buddha said, "A jug fills drop by drop."

Map out the new year, and the route to a new and improved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment