Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I love you New York, but you scare me...

The theme for this week came at a good time because tomorrow I am doing something I love. I am leaving for a place I have only been twice but have been in love with since I was a child-New York City.

When I was three I liked to climb into the lower cabinets in my parents' kitchen, shut the door, and pretend it was a car. One day my mom knocked on the door and asked, "Where are you going?" I replied, "To New Ork!" I had seen the big sparkling city on the soap operas my mom watched day after day. Bright lights, beautiful people, 'New Ork' just seemed like the most wonderful place in the world.

Even though I am very excited to go, I do have a bit of anxiety about this trip. I am doing something that I have never done before, and that many people are afraid to do-ever.

I am driving a car in Manhattan.

Luckily it is only to the Battery Park garage to drop off my rental car on the way back from my project in NJ, so it's not like I'm driving around the perimeter of Central Park. Still, I feel very intimidated. My first time in New York I realized that if you didn't start rolling forward before the light turned green you got honked at. There is no hesitating, you must be an aggressive driver-which I most certainly am not. Fear inducing or not, it has to be done in order to get to my destination.

So after tomorrow I will mark something off my list of things I never thought I would do. Hopefully it doesn't come with any tears or rental insurance claims. Regardless, take this into consideration: doing something you love may come with some anxiety, but in the end the experience will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment